I read about this Nigella Lawson recipe on Vogue Forums and boy, it just sent me in a downward spiral of banana smoothie and malt addictions. I went through a few consecutive days of eating (drinking?) nothing but banana smoothies... and then, subsequently bought a can of Ovaltine and got hooked on the malt rush.
Malt + cold milk, malt + warm milk, malt + soy milk, malt + chocolate milk. And, so on...
till I thought to myself: what I am doing? I need to make THE smoothie that started all this. Perhaps, therein lies the only cure.
And today was the day.
Go get 'em Smoothie
- 1 peeled banana, cut into 4, from the freezer
- 2/3 cup milk
- 1 tablespoon honey (I used 1 tsp honey and it was already too sweet)
- 4 teaspoons malted drink powder (I used 2 heaped tsp of Ovaltine)
- 1 teaspoon strong coffee or 1/2 teaspoon instant espresso powder (I used 1 tsp Jarrah instant coffee)
1) Put all ingredients in a blender and whiz
2) Pour into a glass and enjoy cold!
Obviously, specific quantities are flexible. I thought my banana to milk ratio was a bit high this time (so hard to specify on paper since everyone is bound to have different-sized bananas) and the mixture was bordering on slimy. Perhaps I'll amend that with the addition of a couple of ice-cubes next time. It was also on the sweet side so I'll omit honey.
Otherwise, the flavors are great! I was hesitant (yet oddly appealed by) the idea of coffee and banana together. Fear not, the coffee is subtle in taste but enough to give you a slight 'edge' to your day.
The idea of this smoothie is to mix it all up and take off on your busy day. I probably missed the point completely by making the smoothing and kicking back on my couch. Good times :D