Friday, July 23, 2010

Tuna and Corn Dip with Pita Chips

Tuna and Corn Dip with Pita Chips
Home Cooking



A long while back I spotted this post on Closet Cooking for Buffalo Wing Dip. Without knowing/tasting buffalo wings (I presume it's an American thing), I was still majorly attracted to the recipe because of it's generous use of sour cream, mayo and cheese. Mmm... to all the above.

It took me this long to decide to replicate it because I couldn't justify making something so unhealthy for myself and I didn't have any party occasions to cater for. To compromise, I've replaced the chicken with tuna and corn. The rationale is that tuna is basically a health food, right? And corn is a vegetable. So... provided I use light sour cream, this dip can't be TOO bad.


I did cave a little and use a dollop of whole egg mayo but we have to live a little.

To be honest I did have my doubts about how this would work out. Baked tuna things either turn out nice or vomit-inducing (due to an unappetizing visual resemblance to vomit) so it was a gamble. Luckily, it was really tasty. This is also such an easy-to-follow recipe that it hardly warrants being called a 'recipe'.


Tuna and Corn Dip with Pita Chips
Serves 1-2

Ingredients:

  • 1 x 95g can of tun (I used Sirena chunky tuna in spring water)
  • 1 x 125ml can of sweet corn kernels
  • 2 tbsp light sour cream
  • 1 tbsp whole egg mayonnaise
  • 30g light cream cheese
  • sprinkle of parmesan (or even better, mozzarella or tasty cheese)
  • 2 pieces of pita bread (or any flat/wrap bread)
Procedure:

1. Preheat your oven to 220 degrees Celsius.
2. In a heatproof ramekin, layer the tuna and corn.3. In a separate bowl, mash together the sour cream, mayo and cream cheese.4. Layer this on top in the ramekin. You can mix it through if you like, or leave it layered. Sprinkle on some parmesan cheese (or other cheese).5. Place in the oven for ~ 10min until the top is slightly golden and bubbly.6. Meanwhile, cut your pita bread into wedges and toast in either a frying pan or do what I did and use your sandwich press. Toast until they're crispy and set aside.7. Serve the dip hot with pita chips.


I think this would make great TV food, snack food or party food. For me, it was something to munch on whilst I was trying to motivate myself to study.


I've always loved the flavor/texture combination of tuna, corn and mayo and they tend to be common pantry items so it's something you can pull together with 'last resort' ingredients that have been left abandoned and forgotten.

Close-up of dip

My only criticism is that there was a slight watery residue left over on the bottom of the ramekin - I think that was from the tuna and can probably be avoided by either draining the tuna better or mixing all the ingredients together rather than layering.

No comments:

Post a Comment