Wednesday, September 14, 2011

Sweet Potato Frittata

Sweet Potato Frittata
Home Cooking



Last Wednesday on my RDO, I had myself a bit of a cooking marathon. As you've probably noticed, the frequency of dining out posts have drastically decreased. I'm trying to make amends to that ASAP but in the mean time, I'm beefing up my blog with cooking posts.



This recipe from Gordon Ramsay's Healthy Appetite was something that caught my eye the first time I leafed through. Anything with sweet potato jumps out to me because I'm crazy for that root vegetable.


I halved the recipe and made a few other modifications. It was a good serve for me as a hearty breakfast/brunch.

Sweet Potato Frittata

Serves 1

Ingredients:

  • 1/4 sweet potato, peeled and cut into 1cm cubes
  • 1 tbsp chopped spring onion
  • 2 eggs, lightly beaten
  • 1/2 tbsp olive oil
  • salt and pepper
  • 2 tomatoes, quartered
  • sml handful of rocket and parsley
  • squeeze of fresh lemon juice
  • 1 tbsp olive oil
  • dash of tobasco sauce
  • pinch of sugar
Procedure:

1. First, make the salsa by mixing up the tomato, rocket and parsley with the olive oil, lemon juice, tobasco and sugar. Set aside.2. Heat the grill to the highest setting.
3. In a small non-stick fry pan, heat the olive oil and then add the potato cubes. Cook for about 4-5min, tossing a few times until the potato is just tender.4. Mix together the egg and shallots and gently pour over the sweet potato.5. Tilt the pan to even out the mixture.6. When the edges are just starting to cook, place the pan under the grill. It should only take a minute or so for the top to be cooked. You don't want to overcook it.7. Serve the frittata with the salsa.


I thought this was great for breakfast. It's tasty and nutritious and not too difficult to put together at all. Frittatas can be quite boring by the simple and tangy salsa really lifted this.


It wasn't a very thick frittata... in fact, more like an omelet to me. The sweet potato gave it a good body though.

No comments:

Post a Comment