Monday, April 12, 2010

Chicken and Pineapple Curry

Chicken and Pineapple Curry
Home Cooking



Curtis Stone is on TV a fair bit these days for Coles. I'm definitely not an avid fan but when it comes to good recipes, there's no discrimination. Byron saw his pork and pineapple curry and decided to make it... only he ended up substituting pork for chicken and not really follow the recipe so it's basically his own creation.



Literally weighed down with 10kg weights in front of the TV and there I stayed until food was served

This is the first time he's cooked (for as long as I can remember) where I made ZERO contribution at all. Not for groceries, prepping, plating or even cleaning. This stems from the fact that he completely possesses the kitchen and hates people getting in the way (people = me). So though I feel bad for the fact, it's the way of life.


I should once again clarify, as I do for all curry recipes, that the quantities are just a rough estimation. Even rougher this time since I was barely present at the cooking scene. We used chicken drumsticks which are a lovely and economical option for these types of dishes and also used half a fresh pineapple. We ate the remainder as is and it was the MOST DELICIOUS pineapple I have ever tasted. Sweet, succulent, juicy, fragrant and not a trace of soury sting that pineapples normally possess, propagating instant ulcers in your mouth.

Chicken and Pineapple Curry

Serves 4

Ingredients:

  • 8 chicken drumsticks
  • 2 onions, roughly chopped
  • 1/2 pineapple, diced into 1cm cubes
  • curry powder, cayenne pepper, ground cumin, ground turmeric
  • salt, sugar and pepper to taste
  • 1 cup water
  • 100g snow peas
  • brown rice, to serve
Procedure:

1. Seal the drumsticks in oil on high in a large pot. Remove from the pot and set aside.2. In the same oil, fry the onions with the pineapple until colored.3. Return the chicken to the pot and season with spices to your liking.4. Cover with a cup of water and simmer for 30min or so until cooked.5. Add the snow peas and cook for another 5min until snow peas are just tender.
6. Serve with brown rice.


We decided that this dish was a bit like a cross between curry chicken and apricot chicken... and that that's definitely not a bad thing. I'm one of those people who can eat dessert for every meal of the day. I can eat a slice of cake and then wash it down with sugary iced coffee and then be in the mood for scone and jam. I do believe the term is sweet tooth.

Close-up

It then follows that curry with a bit of sweetness like this one or the one above really appeal to me.

Byron's plate which is far from pretty but I wanted to include for amusement's sake

This curry demands to be eaten with rice (like most curries, really. You'd be bonkers to slurp it on its own) and we chose brown rice. I love the nutty chewiness of brown rice and it seemed to work wonderfully with this dish.

No comments:

Post a Comment