Monday, April 12, 2010

Satay Chicken Noodles

Satay Chicken Noodles
Home Cooking



This post should have been put up a while ago but alas, sometimes I can't keep up with myself. I had a satay-crazy phase earlier this year because of the satay noodles I had at Satay Hut. Although satay dishes are generally quite easy to reproduce, I'd never made one before so I book-marked it as a future 'to-do'.

During one of my previous lunch parties, I made a curry but had satay chicken marinated as a back-up, in the event of not having enough food. Coincidentally, one of my guests also brought along satay chicken. He had actually marinated a HUGE box full and cooked half of it for the party and gave me the rest.


Later on, I combined that lot with my own batch and used the chicken to make a satay noodle stir-fry. It's a really easy recipe to follow and you don't need many ingredients. Because it's a stir-fry, feel free to use your own favorite vegetables and leave out what you don't like.

Satay Chicken Noodles
Serves 3-4

Ingredients:

  • 500g Hokkien noodles
  • 400g chicken thighs, cut into bite-sized pieces
  • 1 can (250ml) satay sauce (I used Ayam brand)
  • 1 cup coconut milk (or if you're being healthy, coconut-flavored evaporated milk)
  • 1 tbsp peanut butter (I used crunchy)
  • 2 tbsp sweet chili sauce
  • 1 tsp soy sauce
  • 1/2 tsp sesame oil
  • 1 tsp sugar
  • 2 sticks of celery, sliced
  • 1 onion, sliced
  • 1 large capsicum, sliced
Procedure:

1. Use 1/2 the satay sauce to massage into the chicken. Cover and let it marinate for a couple of hours.2. Combine the remainder of the sauce with coconut milk, peanut butter, sweet chili, soy, sesame oil and sugar to create a sauce. Taste and adjust as you like.3. Cook the noodles as specified on the packet and set aside.
4. Heat up some oil in the wok and seal the chicken. Set aside.
5. Stir-fry the onion and capsicum until just cooked. Add the chicken and sauce and stir-fry.6. Add the celery in the last 2min so that it becomes coated with sauce whilst staying crunchy.7. Add the noodles and stir-fry quickly until incorporated.
6. Serve with chopped fresh coriander and some fresh lime.


This satay recipe is really easy to follow and the ingredients are mostly pantry goods that you might have lying around anyway. You can leave out the noodles and serve the chicken and veggies with rice.

Close-up

I thought the sauce flavors were great and it totally cured my satay craving. In fact I had this in left-over form for the next few days and now, I'm all satayed out (i.e. I don't want to touch the stuff again and it pains me to write this post and upload satay photos).

If you eat this stuff in moderation, you'll be right.

No comments:

Post a Comment