Wednesday, November 7, 2012

Sydney Weekender 1 - MoS Cafe for Breakfast

MoS Cafe for Breakfast
http://www.moscafe.com.au/


Many, many months ago, somewhere around the start of this year, Kat and I planted a short, one-night Sydney fling at the start of November. We didn't have many plans for what we'd be doing. It was intended to be a 'do as we feel' trip for the purpose of getting away and enjoying a change of scenery.


We arrived early on the Saturday morning. I don't think I'll be booking any early morning flights in the future. I spent the whole night before paranoid about not being able to get a taxi. On the plus side, we were able to check into our hotel early. Stomachs were rumbling (something about flying makes me really hungry) and the friendly concierge directed us to some nearby cafes. We chose the MoS (i.e. Mueseum of Sydney) Cafe because it was close to a bustop we needed to get to afterwards.



MoS Cafe was really busy when we got there. It was considerably chilly that morning for 2 Queensland girls so we wanted a table inside but they were all taken or reserved. We ended up just outdoors, huddled to the wall.

Caramel chai latte and strawberries and cream tea

Kat and I didn't hesitate in ordering hot beverages right away. She went for her vacation drink of choice: a caramel chai latte. I chose a pot of strawberries and cream tea.

Alarmingly red strawberries and cream tea

Kat said her latte was creamy, sweet and delicious. I was alarmed when I poured my tea out because it was bright red. I'm trying to detox from processed food and no matter how I thought about it, I couldn't justify the colouring as natural. I took a sip of the tea and left it. I didn't want to walk out of there with red teeth and lips.

The breakfast menu at MoS Cafe contained many breakfast classics involving bacon, eggs and toast in various combinations. We also saw a number of tables enjoying high tea.

Scrambled eggs on organic dark sourdough

Kat went for the scrambled eggs on organic sourdough for breakfast. The sourdough came as either regular or dark and she went for the latter. The eggs were well-cooked and dusted with chives and it was a fairly large portion.

Oven-roasted portobello mushrooms, semi-dried tomatoes, seared asparagus spears, avocado and haloumi gratin on organic sourdough

I chose the vegetarian breakfast with portobello mushrooms, tomato, asparagus and avocado on sourdough. There was haloumi cheese grated on top, which was an interesting application of haloumi that I haven't seen before. It added a nice cheesy, chewy quality but I think I would have preferred it as a whole slab, grilled.

MoS Cafe delivered classic breakfast dishes at fairly good standards. The prices are on the higher side but the servings are large. It was a decent place to get breakfast that fills you up but nothing outstanding that I would recommend to anyone. In other words, foodies would be disappointed. I know plenty of cafes in Sydney that would do better breakfast.
MoS Cafe on Urbanspoon

No comments:

Post a Comment