Monday, February 15, 2016

Breakfast at Seven South

Seven South
92 Hyde Road, Yeronga


Nina and I met up for a long overdue catch up last Saturday. We decided to brunch at new cafe in Yeronga, Seven South. As I drove towards it, I realised the surroundings looked very familiar. I had previously been to their neighboring cafe Anesis.


There's ample street parking, even on a weekend. I liked the layout and look of Seven South with its expansive outdoor dining area and bright and open indoor space. We started sitting outside but as the weather got a bit drizzly, we moved on in. It was busy when I first got there but by the time we had finished up it was absolutely packed. There were groups of people waiting for a table.

Soy latte

I got there first so I ordered a coffee straight up. This didn't take very long to get made. All seemed well.


Seven South offers many desirable brunch options. I settled for my usual of avocado on toast. Nina is a health-conscious bride to be so when she sat down, she ordered a coffee and the char-grilled greens with halloumi.


At this point things got a bit hectic. We were probably there for half an hour when I realised Nina still hadn't received her coffee. We chased up via two staff (very difficult to get their attention because they were so busy) and still no coffee came. We noticed that a couple who had sat down after we ordered were already sipping on their coffee.

Finally, it took about 45 minutes and a third follow up inquiry for the coffee to arrive with no apologies or explanation given at any point. Our food (thankfully) was brought out not too long after.

Herb smashed avocado - on house pumpkin bread with goats feta and spiced pepitas

I very much enjoyed the avocado dish I ordered. As a point of difference from other avo on toast dishes, it was served with pumpkin bread. I thought the pepita seeds provided good crunch and as a fan of goats cheese, I loved the use of soft goats cheese.

Char-grilled seasonal vegetables - with salsa verde, halloumi, fried kale and poached eggs

Nina's order was less exciting. I guess we couldn't have expected anything too extraordinary from a dish featuring greens but she described it as being not dissimilar to stir-fried veggies with the kale chips adding interest. She commented that the halloumi and egg was cooked well.


We became very conscious of the swarms of people eyeing off our table so we made our way to the counter to pay. With the huge delay in coffee it would have been nice to see Nina's coffee charge waved but alas that didn't happen. Somehow, her order of greens and coffee came to $28. We queried at the time but didn't want to push the matter. Now that I've had time to mull over the menu, I suspect they charged her seasonal greens ($16.50) plus an extra side of halloumi ($3.50) that we didn't ask for, even though the dish already contains halloumi. I'm not sure how the coffee came to $7 but I wouldn't be surprised if we were accidentally charged multiple coffees for the number of times we chased the order.

I appreciate Seven South is a new establishment and that there's bound to be teething issues. I hope they smooth out these service kinks in time because I did like the food I tasted and I spotted a few delicious desserts I want to try as well. Better luck next time?
Seven South Menu, Reviews, Photos, Location and Info - Zomato

No comments:

Post a Comment