Thursday, February 11, 2016

Dinner and Drinks at Kinn Thai

Kinn Thai, Westfield Garden City
http://kinnrestaurant.com.au/mt-gravatt/


I know most people prefer to do social things on the weekend but I personally love a mid week occasion to break up the monotony. A couple of weeks ago Kat and I arranged to catch up over dinner. We live on opposite ends of Brisbane now so we picked Garden City as a mutually accessible location. That's not a bad thing, considering GC has so many new restaurants that I haven't tried.


Kinn Thai was one of these that I'd walked past several times but never gone into myself. Kat had been there and always raved about her experience so I was keen to give it a go. We got there very early on a weekday night, probably just after they opened so getting a table wasn't an issue. The restaurant is large and there are plenty of dining spaces inside and out.



The menu is modern Thai, reminiscent of restaurants I've been to interstate and overseas (e.g. Home Thai in Sydney) but that I haven't seen much of in Brisbane. In general, dishes are prettied up and made more exciting than their traditional counterparts.

Tuesday cocktails

Kat and I ordered a couple of entrees to share and a main item each. Even though it was a Tuesday night, some cocktails were ordered. It's always a suitable time for cocktails.


My cocktail of the evening ended up being quite a statement piece. I was presented with a huge scientific vial and martini glass. I wasn't given succinct instructions so I just used my common sense and poured A into B. It only made a little bit of a mess... Our drinks were great and definitely helped elevate the mood. Mine was like a frozen strawberry daiquiri. Kat ordered a classic mojito.

Petite satay chicken - skewers of marinated, char-grilled chicken tenderloin served with peanut sauce and cucumber relish

For starters, we chose a chicken satay and roast duck wrap. The satay skewers were adorably small and easy to eat. The meat itself was nice and succulent and the peanut dipping sauce was very moreish.

Kinn duck pancake - roasted duck breast, cucumber and shallot wrapped in house made rosemary pancake

Our other starter was the duck wrap. This was conveniently served in twos so we had one each. The concept is similar to a Peking duck wrap but it's missing the crucial crunchy skin aspect. I couldn't detect any rosemary in the wrapper.

Omelette and prawn sour soup

I ordered one of the daily specials as my main. It was basically cooked omelette and prawns soaked in sour spicy soup. I chose this because it sounded unlike anything I'd tried before and I'm glad I did because it was delicious. The egg does a great job of sponging up the soup.

Stir-fried Asian greens

Kat was much better behaved than I and ordered seasonal vegetables with tofu. She commented that this dish was very fresh and healthy.

I quite enjoyed our meal at Kinn Thai. The clean, well-presented dishes along with nice service and pleasant environment added to an overall great experience. I liked that the menu was so hefty too because there'll be many other items to try when I go back.
Kinn Thai Menu, Reviews, Photos, Location and Info - Zomato

No comments:

Post a Comment