Friday, March 6, 2009

The Chill Bar

The Chill Bar
www.chillbar.com.au



I cannot truly remember where I first heard about this place - possibly a local Eastside paper. I only know that I'd been wanting to go for some time.

Since I've moved from Carindale, it's less convenient for me to head all the way over to Bulimba. That's a shame because it's an awesome suburb. Bulimba is rocking the boutique village thing and I totally dig that.

One fine day, it just so happened that I had business in the East and I thought it was about time I could check out Chill Bar. Off we went.



 

No booking was made but we were early and there were tables. It was decided that we'd share 3 tapas and bread. I insisted on a cocktail too, because I like cocktails and because they sounded heavenly.

Our waitress was really friendly but admitted she was new. She forgot our orders twice but had a lovely personality/attitude so it was instantly forgiven.

Cherry Ripe Cocktail
Jungle Juice

Drinks came first - we had chosen a Cherry Ripe cocktail and a Jungle Juice. The cocktail tasted good albeit slightly too alcoholic for my liking but I personally preferred the Jungle Juice. This is a non-alcoholic fruit juice mix - no idea what they put in it but there was a hint of ginger and I loved it.

Trio of tapas

The tapas set and bread came out at around the same time. I must say - presentation
was fantastic. It was one of those situations where you feel like it's almost a shame to touch the food because it looked so good.


Grilled chorizo and haloumi

Coconut prawns with rice

Spanish lamb skewers

We went for the grilled chorizo and haloumi, coconut prawns and Spanish lamb skewers. I thought everything tasted fantastic - though the chorizo and haloumi was my favorite. It's important for tapas to be decently intricate and go a bit further than something like 'spring rolls'. Each plate at Chill Bar was like a miniature entree plate on its own.

Turkish bread
3 types of dip

The Turkish bread with trio of dips was also quite tasty. This should go without saying but there was a perfect bread:dip ratio and surprisingly, there are actually a lot of restaurants that fail here. I find it super frustrating when you're out of dip well before you're out of bread.

All in all, this was a great dining experience. I liked the ambience of the place, the staff and most importantly, the food. Tapas are my new 'it' thing so anywhere that carries a decent selection is right up there in my good books.

No comments:

Post a Comment