Friday, April 8, 2016

Melbourne 7 - Brunch at Trunks

Trunk American Diner
http://www.trunktown.com.au/


It's shocking to think that I've taken a month to blog only 4 days worth of eating in Melbourne.  I guess it shouldn't come as a surprise considering how much we ate but I'm somewhat relieved that I'm up to the last post for this particular trip.


We had checked out of our hotel and it was about 3hrs till our return flight... just enough time for a spot of brunch.



Staying where we did, Marc and I walked past Trunk a few times and repeatedly noted how nice it looked. There's something about an open courtyard beer garden with fairy lights that is oh-so-inviting and it was buzzing with clientele at all parts of the day. We decided that our last meal stop in Melbourne would be at the Trunk American Diner. Note: the restaurant, bar and beer garden are all separate sections with separate menus (please refer to the website).


It was another lovely day so we took up a table outside to enjoy the sunshine. The menu at Trunk Diner was fairly comprehensive with lots of breakfast options, plus some items that were a bit heavier. There was an entire section on pancakes! The milkshakes looked tempting too (Tim Tam Slam anyone?) but I feared I would start regretting anything too heavy on the flight home so we ordered the safe option of coffees instead. My soy latte was fair but Marc's cappuccino was very watery.

Huevos rancheros

For food, I chose the huevos rancheros, which comprised of a big plate of tortilla, fried eggs, chorizo, beans and more. The feta was an odd addition but I love feta and it just goes so well with avocado. This was a great filling and reasonably light breakfast (if you ignore the chorizo).

Big breakfast

Marc ordered the big breakfast, which was so big he couldn't finish it. The serving size was appropriately huge and although the components were cooked well, there's only so much I can write about a 'big breakfast'. I'm going to have to force him to order something different in the future so it's less boring for me to review.


Trunk American Diner offers hearty breakfast in a bright and friendly environment. I wish I had stomach space for the milkshakes or breakfast cocktails because they sound phenomenal to me. The food we tasted was good and filling but not as outstanding or creative as other meals we tried in Melbourne. The coffee was a disappointment.
Trunk Diner Menu, Reviews, Photos, Location and Info - Zomato

No comments:

Post a Comment