Thursday, September 4, 2014

Noosa Break 2 - Lunch at Canteen

Canteen
2/4 Sunshine Beach Road


On the Sunday of our stay at Castaway Beach, we decided to head further north to Noosa Heads for lunch. This time, it was Canteen that caught our eye because the menu seemed fresh and varied but also very affordable. As it had been all weekend, the weather was on point so we happily took up a table outside.


The menu at Canteen reminds me of all those brunch spots I love back home in Brisbane. There's a lot of the typical cafe offerings like sandwiches, wraps, burgers and so on but with a quirky gourmet flare.



I found myself struggling to decide between the roast pumpkin sandwich on spelt bread or the daily specials of savoury mince flatbread toastie or spiced, shredded chicken soup. It all sounded so good but because my weekend had been a continuous binge of junk food, I thought I'd opt for the healthiest sounding choice of pumpkin sandwich.

Soy latte

Our drink orders arrived first. Most members of our group ordered some variant of coffee, myself a soy latte. It was quite good and the soy managed to be lovely and creamy.

Rib steak sandwich - with tomato, caramelised onion and harissa aioli

The food didn't take much longer after that. Around our table, Blossom chose the haloumi bruschetta and Marc, Garthritis and Knobles all went for the steak sandwich. What typical boys! I did think the steak sandwich looked delicious and it came on some toasty turkish bread with a side of chips.

Grilled haloumi - with spiced eggplant, blistered cherry tomato bruschetta

Blossom's bruschetta was simple and sophisticated. It was adorned with roast cherry tomatoes and crispy basil leaves. This is a great light lunch option. I had a bit of food envy going.

Roast pumpkin sandwich - with capsicum, spinach, goats curd, onion jam and tapenade on spelt bread

My sandwich was good on the first few bites but the bread became notably sticky after that. I can only guess this is because it was made of spelt flour, although I haven't had any issues with spelt products before. By sticky, I mean it had that tacky, stuck-to-the-roof-of-the-mouth feel to it that wasn't very pleasant. It was emphasized by the fact that the contents of the sandwich were all a similar texture.

Fries with aioli

I liked the chips much better. On one hand, it's true that chips are overall a more exciting food than a vegetarian sandwich but they can also be disappointing at times. These weren't disappointing at all, with their crunchy golden exteriors and creamy dipping sauce. Marc got some chips with his steak sandwich and he kept trying to steal my sauce.

Cappucino

Canteen is the kind of place I'd visit often as a Noosa local. The food is tasty and the menu has enough on it to not get bored. We spied a gorgeous cake cabinet that had tonnes of delicious sweet treats. On one of the shelves, there were some cute bottles marked fruit infused vodka. How curious... I guess that means there's plenty more to try if we ever find ourselves down that way again.
Canteen on Urbanspoon

No comments:

Post a Comment