I like potato salads but try not to make them too often because they truly go against the idea of salads being healthy. Often, the best-tasting ones involve white potato boiled and tossed with loads of cream, sour cream and mayo.
When I saw this recipe, I couldn't resist. It doesn't have huge amounts of cream, just a few dollops of creme fraiche, which isn't too bad. More importantly, it combines the luscious idea of potato salad with one of my favorites, smoked salmon, to create an awesome food superchild.
The original recipe is by Jamie Oliver but I left out horseradish because I couldn't find any. Since that was a crucial component of his version, I can't really claim they're the same dish. I also forgot to add capers even though I had some in the house... hey, it happens when you're running around trying to make 3 things at once.
The only cooking in this recipe is to boil the potatos. Everything else is a matter of mixing and layering. Even I can do it.
Smoked Salmon and Potato Salad
- 400g washed small potatoes, quartered
- zest and juice of 1 large lemon
- splash of red wine vinegar
- extra virgin olive oil
- 2 tbsp capers, soaked and drained
- 150ml creme fraiche
- small bunch of fennel tops (or fresh dill), roughly chopped
- 200g smoked salmon
1. Cook the potatoes by boiling for 15-20min in salted water. Remember you don't want overcooked, mushy potatoes because this is a potato salad.
2. Combine 1/2 the lemon juice with the zest and red wine vinegar. Add 3 x as much olive oil as there was vinegar.
3. Add the capers to the dressing and season with salt and pepper. Pour this over the warm potatoes. Sprinkle most of the fennel over the top, toss again and set aside.4. Combine the rest of the lemon juice with the creme fraiche.
5. To serve, layer the salmon on a plate.6. Spoon over the potatoes and dollop with the creme fraiche.
7. Finish with a sprinkle of fresh dill.
This makes for a simple yet sophisticated side or starter. I don't know many people who don't like or eat smoked salmon and even less who would say no to potato salad. The potatoes themselves are flavored with the lemon dressing and taste wonderfully fresh.
Creme fraiche and fennel go perfectly with the salmon. I would've liked to add horseradish because I think that is a good compliment too. I forgot to add my capers but it still turned out OK.
I recommend you give this recipe a go for your next dinner party. It gives great value for taste with hardly any effort required.