Tuesday, October 4, 2011

Amaretti Cookies

Amaretti Cookies
Home Cooking



This post is really dated but I figured the sooner I put it up, the less 'old' it'll ultimately become. I was going through a baking rampage one week and these cookies are a by-product of that fever. I love almond meal products and happened to have some so I started looking up almond meal recipes.


This recipe for amaretti cookies popped up in Mochi's 'Women's Weekly Bake' book. For those who haven't seen it, it's like a textbook-sized baking bible. There were plenty of recipes contending but I went along with the easiest.


Amaretti Cookies
Makes 20

Ingredients:

  • 1 cup (125g) almond meal
  • 1 cup (220g) caster sugar
  • 2 egg whites
  • 1/4 teaspoon almond essence
  • 20 blanched almonds (20g)
Procedure:

1. Lightly grease oven trays
2. Beat almond meal, sugar, egg whites and essence in a small bowl with an electric mixer for 3 minutes.3. Let it stand for 5 minutes.4. Spoon the mixture into a piping bag fitted with 1cm plain tube. Pipe directly onto the trays to make biscuits about 4cm in diameter.
5. Top each with a nut.
6. Cover unbaked biscuits loosely with foil. Stand at room temperature overnight.
7. Preheat over to 180 degrees Celsius.
8. Bake biscuites for about 12 minutes.9. Stand on trays for 5 minutes before transferring to a wire rack to cool.


A few pointers... the biscuits are supposed to be better if the batter is left overnight. The recipe states that it's preferable but not necessary. I just cooked mine right away. I'm not sure if this has anything to do with it but my batter took much longer than 12 minutes to cook.

Also, I hate piping with a passion so I just used a 2-spoon technique to get the dollops of batter on the tray. I don't think they're too bad!

The cookies were a cinch to make and if you're willing to forgo the overnight wait, can be whipped up in a jiffy. They're perfect with a cup of coffee or tea.

No comments:

Post a Comment