Wednesday, July 29, 2009

Breakfast at The Gunshop Cafe

The Gunshop Cafe
http://www.thegunshopcafe.com/



I'm not exaggerating when I say that I've been dying to go to Gunshop for AGES. At least months, if not over a year. Maybe even 2 years now. It's reputably got Brisbane's best breakfast offerings. As a Brisbane girl, these claims impress me. Unfortunately, I am rarely up and about in time for breakfast (on the weekend, I'm generally awake at noon) so it's not easy to see for myself.

When a holiday rolls by, I tell myself that Gunshop is on my list of things 'to do' but it doesn't happen. In fact, once I actually went but the line was huge and I was starving so I went somewhere else instead. Not this holidays! Finally, we managed to check it out.


I got to Gunshop at the awkward time of 11am, which is 'late' for most people to have breakfast on a weekday but it was the earliest that I could drag myself out of bed. We had to beat 11:30am because that's when they stop serving breakfast (on weekdays that is, on weekends it's different - check their website).


The Gunshop Cafe has a pretty cute interior layout. There's a narrow seating area with little windows that show the counter beyond. It's dark but not in an intimidating or dirty way. Classy dark.

We ordered coffees and a breakfast item each. I nearly got carried away by ordering a third breakfast item to share (something sweet to cut all our savory food) but stopped myself. There is such a thing as 'too piggish' and I'm constantly pushing that barrier.

Latte

The coffee was good. Coffee and newspapers = already a nice start to the morning.

Black pudding, poached egg, ciabatta, prune and apple compote

Our food arrived. I ordered the black pudding with apple and prune compote. Even though I had read the menu online and on paper beforehand, I still forgot what was in the compote and spent ages trying to figure it out. If I'm to be honest, I ordered black pudding because it was the oddest thing on the menu and I'm a curious person. It was actually really tasty - nothing goreish at all. I thought this would be a very heavy breakfast option but it wasn't. The egg was poached and the toasted ciabbata was unbuttered... makes the whole meal practically 'light'!

Tolouse sausages, sweet potato hash, poached egg, bush tomato chutney and side of chriberg double smoked bacon

Charlie chose the toulouse sausages. They were full of flavor - really delish. He also ordered a side of bacon so his meal was quite 'substantial'. I liked the sweet potato hash too.

Ok now... what is my overall verdict? Not to chicken out of making a judgment call but I must say that I haven't had many breakfast experiences out in Brisbane. Breakfast might just be my favorite meal of the day but like I said, I wake up too late to enjoy it. I'm not sure if Gunshop has the best breakfast but it's definitely UP THERE out of all those that I've tried so far. I'd go back in a heartbeat.

No comments:

Post a Comment