Thursday, October 28, 2010

Chocolate Yogurt Muffins

Chocolate Yogurt Muffins
Home Cooking



Hit with a chocolate-craving the other day, I was stuck with the problem of 'what can I cook without butter'? Back in my frequent baking days, butter was a staple in my pantry. This was unfortunately, no longer the case and the more I looked at cake and cookie recipes online and in my hoard of dessert books, the more I realized just how essential it was.



Finally, I came across a recipe for chocolate yogurt cake that used vegetable oil instead of butter. I was lucky because mum and dad always keep a huge tub of yogurt in the fridge. The fact that it was lemon creme flavored made me hesitate a bit, but not much.




This recipe is REALLY easy because it's pretty much all in one bowl. I pretty much followed it to the tee, but I used chocolate that had almond pieces... and I made a quite chocolate ganache to blob on my muffins.

Chocolate Yogurt Muffins
Makes 10

Ingredients:

  • 125ml natural yogurt (I used flavored)
  • 125ml vegetable oil
  • 1 cup of sugar
  • 1 and 1/2 cups of flour
  • 3 eggs
  • 200 grams of chocolate (I used Almond Old Gold)
  • 4 tsp baking powder
  • 1 tsp vanilla extract
Procedure:

1. Melt the chocolate in a double boiler or in the microwave. Set aside to cool slightly.
2. Preheat the oven to 180 degrees Celsius.
3. In a large bowl, mix together the yogurt, oil, eggs, vanilla and sugar.4. Add the flour and baking powder and mix well.5. Stir in the melted chocolate.
6. Distribute the batter into the muffin cups.7. Bake for around 20min or until an inserted skewer comes out clean.8. Cool before topping and serve. I just melted some more chocolate and stirred in a bit of milk to make a quick ganache that I then blobbed over the tops.


The muffins turned out a lot prettier than I expected, thanks to the paper cases. There was no lemon flavor in the end product (phew). I thought the end result was a lot like shop-bought muffins.


It was fluffy and flavorsome but slightly dry. They're definitely not the most amazing muffins I've ever had but quite impressive for a throw-together effort. I like these straight out of the fridge rather than warm, but that's probably a personal thing.

2 comments:

  1. Looks absolutely incredible! I'd love to chow down on a plate of them!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Spencer...
    You're welcome to do so ;).

    ReplyDelete