Tuesday, June 9, 2009

Pork Wontons in Chili Coconut Broth

Pork Wontons in Chili Coconut Broth
Home Cooking



This recipe was really loosely based on one from "Feed me now" by Bill Granger. When I say loosely, I'm 'not at all really'. I saw his recipe and was very close to following it but got distracted.

The change-of-mind trigger for me was that I bought a bunch of bok choi and it was much too much to use in the broth alone. I also didn't have chicken mince like I thought and so it clicked in my head: pork mince + chopped bok choi = wontons. Bill Granger's recipe was for spiced chicken meatballs basically so you can see where the deviation lies.





My family's traditional wonton recipe involves pork mince, bok choi, shitake mushrooms and seasoning. It's delicious. I didn't try to replicate it but made my own variation. I even went so far as making my own wonton skins which was an achievement in itself. After that, I am confident in recommending you buy yours pre-made. (If you're stubborn and want the exclusive sense of satisfaction received from making something yourself, I just used flour + water + a bit of vegetable oil and rolled it out like pasta).

Pork Wontons in Chili Coconut Broth
Serves 1

Ingredients:

For the wontons

  • 100g pork mince
  • 80g baby bok choi, washed and chopped finely
  • 2 Chinese dried shitake mushrooms, soaked in hot water and chopped finely
  • 1/2 tbsp chopped coriander
  • 20g tinned bamboo, chopped finely
  • 1 tsp minced ginger
  • 1 tsp salt
  • 1/2 tsp white pepper
  • wonton skins (I used 6 to make 6)
For the broth
  • 1/2 can (approx 200ml) coconut milk
  • 1/2 cup clear chicken broth
  • 1 tsp fish sauce
  • 2 tsp lime juice
  • 2 baby bok choi
  • small piece of ginger
  • sugar and chili flakes to taste
  • fresh coriander to serve
Procedure:

1. Mix the wonton filling ingredients all together.2. Make your wontons. People fill them in different ways. I put the filling in the center and then fold over to enclose it. Wet the edge to seal the seam. Then, I bring together 2 of the corners and seal that together too. I hope the photos help.
3. Make the broth by boiling together the coconut milk, chicken broth, fish sauce, lime juice, ginger, sugar and chili. Taste and adjust. Lower the heat to keep warm until needed.4. In a separate pot, boil some water. Plop the wontons in and stir a little to prevent sticking. Add the 2 baby bok choi in as well to boil.
5. Wontons are cooked after they've been floating for 5min or so. You can take one out and open it to test. Drain them when ready.6. To serve, ladle some soup into a bowl. Add the wontons and bokchoi. Garnish with the coriander and more chili flakes (if you're like me).


The wontons were really good - simple, clean, healthy and tasty. The soup was a lovely compliment and overall it's just something I'd be happy to eat on a regular basis.

My wonton

The filling

3 comments:

  1. Hey, your won-ton wrapping skills are quite impressive! (seriously, I can't wrap them that neatly..)
    I find that store-bought wrappers can be very thick, but the ones you made are nice and thin.
    I also heard somewhere that the very traditional method to make won tons with buk choi was to blanch them (buk choi) in water and then squeeze a lot of the juice out and then mince it... don't really know if it makes such a big difference for so much more effort!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Bonnie!

    You can buy thick or thin wonton wrappers depending on which grocery store you go to. Some have egg and are yellow; some are white. Everyone has different preferences! My parents blanch the bokchoi before mincing them - it releases the water so that the filling isn't too soggy. I didn't do it but found that the water released by the bokchoi provided a sort of 'soup' inside the wonton which was really lovely to bite into.

    And thanks for your comment about my wrapping skills! I've had a lot of practice :)

    ReplyDelete