Wednesday, April 8, 2009

Cool Beans & Baguettes

Cool Beans and Baguettes
http://www.coolbeans.com.au/



I've officially found a 'go to' coffee shop. Sometimes, it's fun to ponder over what to eat on my lunch break. Other days, there's just not enough time between clinic and rather than wasting 15min thinking, I'll go with Cool Beans. There are 3 locations in the CBD but the Ann St location is most convenient for us. I often stop there on my way to uni to grab a coffee. I'll go again at lunch for a salad or sandwich. To cater for the occasional sugar-craving, they also have a great selection of yogurt, fruit, cake slices and muffins.



Shelves full of goodies

Cool Beans got boosted to my favorite ever since they started making cups of 'hot soy milk' for me. I feel too embarrassed to ask for plain soy milk from any other cafe but the barrister at Cool Beans not only lets me order it but also makes it nice and frothy like a soy milk latte (minus coffee).

Hot soy milk with complimentary vanilla wafer

In my opinion, Cool Beans has THE BEST sandwiches. There are different ones available every day but I have a feeling these sandwiches are what got me 'into' sandwiches. Very tasty and all healthy - I love the gnocchi sandwich (sounds interesting, yes?).

Prawn salad sandwich

I choose the salads when I'm feeling carb-conscious. There's not as much variety in salads as there are in sandwiches but they're loaded with fresh veggies. The salad dressing is usually kept in a separate container (prevents sogginess). My usual choice is the mango chicken or turkey and cranberry.

Chicken and seed salad

Close-up of chicken and seed salad

Close-up of garden salad

Recently, I've started trying their lunch-boxes too. There are 'cold' options, like the Vietnamese coleslaw. Once I chose the Mediterranean gnocchi and this was warmed up for me. Great if you feel like having something warm and hearty.

Vietnamese coleslaw lunch box

I've tried a whole heap of Cool Beans' cake slices - white chocolate mud cake, carrot cake, banana and walnut. I particularly like the white chocolate mud cake slice.

Mango and muesli yogurt pot

For a healthier sugar-fix, I chose their gourmet yogurt pots. The mango and muesli one is my favorite.

I also tried the low fat raspberry muffin the other day. It was fluffy with a sponge-cake texture which I quite liked but I know some people prefer a heavier muffin.

Cool Beans and Baguettes is awesome. I'd be satisfied if I had to eat lunch there every day... and I almost do :)

3 comments:

  1. This sounds nice....are the sandwiches and salads exy though...kinda sick of Kadoya now for lunch...
    Is there one near Queen street?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Considering where Myer is, the closest is probably Brisbane Square. There's one on George St too, on the way to Global Burgers.

    As for price, sandwiches are 5-7, salads and lunch boxes are 7-8, cakes are 4-5 and coffee is normal-priced.

    HTH :)

    PS, I think Post Office Square food court has a huge selection but it's a bit of a trek for you guys.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I good barista is a wonder indeed. If you find a good one, you are totally loyal to them :) That prawn sandwich looks delicious and a gnocchi sandwich? I'm intrigued!

    ReplyDelete