Saturday, April 18, 2009

Sydney DAY 3: Dessert at Max Brenner

Max Brenner
http://www.maxbrenner.com.au/



I was naive when planning where to go throughout Sydney. Out of Max Brenner and the Lindt Cafe, I reasoned that only 1 was necessary. Since Max Brenner has opened in the Gold Coast, I put Lindt Cafe in my itinerary instead.

In actual fact, we ended up going to both dessert cafes. And more.



I am so glad I did. A friend of mine (Sydney local) hyped Max Brenner up to be an ultimate MUST-VISIT. I was a bit skeptical about how good it could be - I mean, in Brisbane we have Pancake Manor. Wouldn't it be similar? Waffles and chocolate sauce and what not. Good thing I ended up listening to her rather than myself :D.



The first thing I saw when I walked into Max Brenner (we went to the one on Oxford St, Paddington) was a big vat of chocolate. Molten chocolate being swirled in a tub is not just hypnotizing, it's also very appetizing. I pretty much lost my ability to feel hungry after day 2 in Sydney. There is, after all, a limit to how fast you can digest things. All the same, after a minute in Max Brenner, I was eager to try just about everything.


Our original intention was to get some ice-cream and sooth our throats (after Spice I Am). For this reason, Charlie and I chose the Popsicle fondue. I couldn't decide on just one thing though - I also picked up a chocolate cinnamon babka take-away.

In my defense, I wasn't the only one who couldn't decide what to get. Our friend chose a brownie and waffle.

Popsicle fondue for two

Popsicle fondue with: melted chocolate, chocolate-coated waffle balls and sprinkles

The Popsicle fondue was great fun. You dip the chocolate ice-cream into chocolate sauce, followed by sprinkles or chocolate rocks. The crunchy chocolate rocks on the chocolate ice-cream (with the chocolate sauce) was FANTASTIC.

Warm Belgian waffle drizzled with pure molten chocolate

Choc-nut fudge brownie with pure melted chocolate

The brownie and waffle looked awesome as well. Definitely something I'll try next time.

Ultimately, I decided against taking the babka away (not just because I'm a pig but also because we wanted to go out drinking after and I didn't want to carry a dessert item around with me everywhere with the potential of chocolate sauce leaking into my bag. Not classy).

Chocolate cinnamon babka with pure melted chocolate

I tore the babka open and drizzled on the molten chocolate sauce. It was heavenly. I've never had babka before - it's slightly cinnamony, soft, warm and very chocolatey. Like a the perfect lovechild of a cinnamon bun and a chocolate croissant.

Just writing this post now has given me a huge craving.

Argh... am so sad that we don't have Max Brenner in Brisbane. Going to meditate and relieve anger and frustration...

No comments:

Post a Comment