Friday, April 24, 2009

Fig, Caramelized Onion and Prosciutto Pizza

Fig, Caramelized Onion and Prosciutto Pizza
Home Cooking



I'm going through a fresh figs phase and have been eating them for breakfast with yogurt. When I decided to make pizza tonight, I thought I could try using the figs in a savory dish instead. I saw a fig, caramelized onion and prosciutto pizza on this website. They used goat cheese but I have some Danish feta at home so I thought I'd use that instead. Their recipe also called for dried figs but I used fresh ones.



I normally only make a bit of dough - enough for 2 mini pizzas. Today, I couldn't be bothered to halve the recipe so I ended up with enough for 2 large pizza bases. My oven is small (one of those portable bench-top ovens) so I can't actually fit a large pizza in. I compromised by making rectangular/oval pizzas. All is good.


Fig, Caramelized Onion and Prosciutto Pizza
Makes 1 large pizza

Ingredients:

  • Home-made pizza base (recipe from here; halve the recipe to make 1 base)
  • pizza sauce (3 tbsp olive oil, 2 cloves of garlic, 1 tbsp chopped parsley, 1 tsp oregano, salt and pepper to taste)
  • 2 fresh figs, slices
  • 2 slices of prosciutto, torn into pieces
  • 1 white onion, sliced into rings
  • 1 tbsp butter,
  • 1 tbsp olive oil
  • 2 tsp brown sugar
  • 20g feta cheese
Procedure:

1. Begin caramelizing the onion. In a small saucepan, melt the butter and combine with the oil. Lower the heat and add the onion. Pop on the lid and let it bubble away for 20min or so until it's shrunken and golden. Stir occasionally to prevent burning. Add the brown sugar after about 10min and stir through.
2. Preheat your oven to 250 degrees Celsius. Make the pizza sauce by blitzing together olive oil, salt, pepper, garlic, parsley and oregano in a food processor till there are only small minced pieces of garlic and parsley left.
3. Roll out your pizza base. Poke holes with a fork (pic no. 1 below).4. Spread the base edge to edge with the garlic oil mix (pic no. 2 above).
5. Layer on the caramelized onion, figs and feta cheese. Top with pieces of prosciutto (pics no. 1-3 below).6. Place the pizza in the oven on the lowest rack and bake for 10-15min till the base is turning golden and the prosciutto is nice and crisp (pic no 4 above).
7. Serve hot with some fresh chopped parsley.


The flavors of the toppings worked together excellently. Figs and onion are nice and sweet, contrasting well with the salty prosciutto and feta. A blue cheese would have worked well too (maybe even better). I think the figs are quite moist so there were areas of the base that were a bit soggy. Apparently a pizza stone is the answer but... that is definitely not a consideration for the near future. I never had this problem with mini pizzas! Next time, I'll roll the base thinner and hope that helps the base crisp up more.

No comments:

Post a Comment