Saturday, April 18, 2009

Sydney DAY 3: Snacks from Breadtop

Breadtop
http://www.breadtop.com.au/



When I first saw a Breadtop store in Sydney, I kept thinking "this looks so familiar". I swear I saw the same thing in Shanghai. Now that I have the benefit of online research, I've discovered that the chain in Shanghai is called 'Breadtalk' and the one in Australia (NSW and VIC) is called 'Breadtop'. Similar decor, products and concept... makes you think 'hmm' but then again, there's no Breadtalk in Australia and neither of them are in QLD so I'm happy for whatever I can get!



We ventured into Breadtop out of curiosity - the window displays were so cute. I was mostly impressed by the variety. I like Asian-style bakeries in general simply because the texture/flavors is different to Western bakeries. If you compare a cheesecake from either style of bakery, you'll know what I mean. I don't have a preference - I just think they offer different things.


Breadtop had more variety than I've seen before in an Australian Asian-style bakery. Products like 'seafood hashbrown' and 'chicken curry donut' caught my attention, simply because of their names.


A lot of things were available in miniatures. The boys were very amused by the mini hamburgers - smaller than your palm. I was close to buying a pack of mini swiss rolls (assorted flavors) before deciding my stomach space was just too limited.


Don't expect healthy from Asian bakeries - the bread and cake products tend to be light in texture but they don't go easy on oil and sugar. All the same, it's no worst than any other snack you might treat yourself to. If we had Breadtop around here, I would have a ball choosing something new to try every week.

Our picks

2 comments:

  1. Just want to let you know they've opened a store in Garden City! Their Chocolate Horn is yummilicious! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I know!! I saw it last time I was at Garbo - I think it JUST openned and was packed. So many people carrying the little trays. It's funny you mentioned this actually because I'm planning to go with my parents next weekend. A shame the parking in those shopping centres is just real scary now that Christmas is looming. Thanks for the rec too; no idea what Chocolate Horn is but it sounds delish.

    ReplyDelete