Saturday, April 18, 2009

Sydney DAY 4: Breakfast at Nick's 103

Nick's 103
Cockle Bay Wharf, Sydney



Lindt Cafe very annoyingly decided to open later than specified on their website so we killed time by having breakfast next door. I wasn't going to ruin my appetite for chocolate so I stuck to a coffee and nothing else.

Two of the boys ordered large savory breakfasts: big breakfast and breakfast burger.

The first thing that annoyed me about Nick's was the staff - whilst they weren't outright rude, their attitude was abrupt and just not very friendly.

That in itself isn't too bad but several later points made Nick's 103 an overall unpleasant experience.


I ordered a skinny latte and Charlie chose a regular latte. When the coffees came, I asked the waitress which one was the skinny one. She told me that there wasn't an order for a skim milk latte. I distinctly remember asking for that but never mind... I didn't want it remade.

Latte

The thing is, regular milk coffee usually tastes creamier and better than skim milk coffee (which I choose purely for low kJ reasons). The lattes at Nick's 103 tasted like warm milk with a bit of instant coffee powder. Maybe not even regular warm milk - more like watered down warm milk. It was a terrible cup of coffee.

Breakfast burger

The breakfast items seemed OK though. I was told that the breakfast burger was quite nice. The big breakfast had a hash brown, which is always a nice addition.

Big breakfast

However, one of us went to order a juice... it was a $3.50 juice and basically, the lady behind the counter just poured some regular juice (supermarket brand) from the carton into a disposable plastic cup. I thought that was very lax in standards. If you're going to be cheap with what juice you use, at least don't pour it right in front of your customer and make them feel like they're wasting money.

That, combined with the undrinkable coffee and rude staff (we wanted to sit closer to the water, not realizing that it was for lunch-goers and rather than politely redirecting us, a waitress barked at us and glared as though we were kids wandering out of bounds) means I would never recommend Nick's 103 to anyone. I have had such wonderful experiences in Sydney, I can't imagine why anyone would settle for anything less. At least the view was stunning.

No comments:

Post a Comment