Saturday, April 18, 2009

Sydney DAY 4: Lindt Cafe for a Special Treat

Lindt Cafe
http://www.lindt.com.au/



We had to wait a bit for Lindt Cafe to open but as soon as it did, it had a steady flow of customers (us included).



I had looked at the menu online so I knew what I wanted. After a quick look around the store, we ordered and sat down.



Charlie and I chose a milk chocolate 2 person degustation to share. We also ordered a dark iced chocolate and 2 delices (which are like macaroons). One friend went for a dark chocolate degustation for 1 and a hot chocolate; another friend kept it simple with a slice of cake.

Lindt hot chocolate

The drinks came out first. With the hot chocolate, you basically control how rich you'd like it to be by combining together melted chocolate and milk.

Lindt dark iced chocolate

Our iced chocolate was so well received that I forgot to take a photo of it until we were half way through. It wasn't like the normal cafe type with chocolate syrup and a ball of ice-cream. I picked dark chocolate because I thought we'd want something slightly less sweet to accompany the degustation and it was a good choice.

Celebration cake

The celebration cake looked divine, very layered. When I asked 'what are the layers made of?' I was told it was 'layers of cake, and more cake'. Whatever it was, the cake went down well.

Dark chocolate degustation for one

There was a bit of a mix up with our degustation. We got 2 single degustations so we sent one back to get a 2 person share. Yep, we sure are a greedy bunch. While waiting for ours, we tried a bit of the dark chocolate degustation. The difference between the dark and milk chocolate is the type of chocolate and ice-cream you get. The dark chocolate degustation had a dark chocolate ice-cream. While it was nice, it was a bit overwhelming when combined with the chocolate sauce.

Milk chocolate degustation for two

On the other hand, the white chocolate ice-cream that came with our milk chocolate degustation was lovely and not too sweet, even with the chocolate sauce. Do keep in mind that I have an excellent tolerance for sweetness. I wasn't a huge fan of the truffle but the chocolate delice was nice.

Lindt pistachio and strawberry delices

Close-up of delices inside

For our additional delices, I chose pistachio and strawberry. The pistachio was quite good but I prefer a stronger pistachio flavor. The strawberry flavoring tasted a bit artificial to me. The texture (crispness vs chewiness) was just right though and they aren't too sweet.

We took the St. Mortiz cake and chocolate to have home later (simply could not stomach all that chocolate).

The next day, the cake was still delicious. Light, creamy, chocolaty and layered. It would have been perfect with a cup of coffee. I liked the hazelnut chocolate but I buy the hazelnut Lindt chocolate blocks at the supermarket anyway so it wasn't anything special to me.


I thought the Lindt cafe experience was pretty memorable. Lots of chocolate, great views of the harbor. Individual items didn't stand out as mind-blowingly awesome but its that sum of the parts that makes this a recommended place to visit.

1 comment:

  1. Oh I loe lindt cafe. Since I went there 2 years ago I've been hanging out for it to open here in Melbourne, and finally they are coming yay! You do realize that now when you get back home you'll be craving this? It was torture for me!

    ReplyDelete